The University of Basel has an international reputation of outstanding achievements in research and teaching. It counts over 13’000 students and 4’300 researchers active in domains from humanities and social sciences to natural sciences, with a focus on life sciences and medicine.
In this context, sciCORE serves as center of competence in scientific computing, maintaining advanced HPC infrastructure and petabyte-scale storage for active research and associated services (training, data management and scientific support). Our users actively engage with the latest advances in machine learning and AI, leveraging the power of GPUs, and extensively utilizing interactive computing methods. As part of the Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics and as one of the nodes of the national BioMedIT network, sciCORE offers a secure and private cloud-based research platform.
We are looking for a Scientific HPC and Cloud Computing Team Leader, to commence on April 1, 2024 (or upon agreement) and join the senior management team at sciCORE, assuming responsibilities for the technological interests of the organization. If you like collaborating with talented people in a highly interdisciplinary academic work environment, we are eager to hear from you.
You will be responsible for overseeing the technical strategy, infrastructure development, and operational efficiency of our systems. You will collaborate with a team of talented IT professionals and researchers and work closely with key stakeholders, to align technology initiatives with research objectives and to foster innovation in scientific computing. In addition to managerial responsibilities you will participate in technical tasks related to sciCORE’s IT infrastructure, including optimization and troubleshooting.
- Develop and execute a strategic technology roadmap supporting sciCORE’s academic mission.
- Lead the design, implementation, and maintenance of IT infrastructure for high performance, scalability, and security.
- Manage a team of skilled technology professionals, fostering innovation and collaboration.
- Establish and maintain partnerships with technology vendors to to remain updated on IT trends.
- Oversee security governance and operations in coordination with the CISO.
- Coordinate budget planning and resource allocation with the senior management team at sciCORE.
- Manage open tenders for hardware procurement in coordination with the Facilities Controlling & Services Unit of the University of Basel.
- A Master’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent, with a strong background in scientific high-performance computing.
- Proven hands-on experience managing complex Linux-based HPC systems in a research or academic environment.
- Solid knowledge of infrastructure management using infrastructure-as-code frameworks.
- Deep technical knowledge of parallel computing architectures, cluster and cloud computing, storage systems, scientific software frameworks and cybersecurity.
- Demonstrated ability to translate complex technological concepts into strategic plans and practical solutions.
- Leadership skills with a track record of successfully managing cross-functional teams and fostering innovation.
- Experience in coordinating open tenders for hardware acquisition, including drafting technical specifications, evaluating bids, and managing vendor relationships.
- Ability to balance managerial responsibilities with a willingness to engage in hands-on technical work as needed.
- Fluent proficiency in spoken and written English and German.
- Experience in IT service management processes.
- Familiarity with a wide range of scientific domains, such as physics, chemistry or biology, and an understanding of the computational challenges in these areas.
We offer you
In this position you will work in a dynamic academic setup, driving impactful global research. You’ll dive into cutting-edge HPC and cloud tech, shaping the University’s scientific IT advancements for international competitiveness. We prioritize your growth, supporting your professional journey and networking through national and global events. You will benefit from the attractive social conditions of the University of Basel, which include a competitive salary by international standards. You will enjoy life in Basel, a city of quality living with culture, family-friendliness, high quality healthcare, and excellent public transportation system.
Application / Contact