To support teaching and research, the IT Services (ITS) of ETH Zurich are working as a service organization in a large and complex IT environment. Scientific IT Services (SIS, a section of ITS) aim at bridging the gap between computational research and IT service and infrastructure provisioning and provide a stimulating, flexible and family-friendly working environment. SIS are working closely together with ETH researchers to provide support in the wide area of scientific computing from data management and analysis, development of scientific software to the operation of high-performance and cloud computing infrastructures.
Scientific IT Services of ETH Zurich is operating the HPC platforms Euler and Leonhard Med to support compute- and data-intensive research. The Leonhard Med data platform has been created to allow secure management and analysis of sensitive human research data. It consists of HPC nodes running the Linux operating system, as well as IaaS-hosted cloud services and a DMZ environment for access services. Leonhard Med presents a unique challenge of establishing a secure scientific IT platform that fulfills the highest IT security standards, while allowing a high-degree of flexibility for the scientists who use it and is one of three infrastructure nodes of the national BioMedIT network, supporting the “Swiss Personalized Health Network” (SPHN) and the “Personalized Health and Related Technologies” programs and collaborates closely with colleagues at the other BioMedIT nodes in Basel (scieCORE Med) and Lausanne (SENSA).
To strengthen our team of experts for further development and operation of Leonhard Med and its services, SIS is looking for an experienced IT Security Engineer (f/m).
The position will be part of a growing team of expert system engineers and system administrators that ensure engineering, development, and day-to-day operation of Leonhard Med. In this function you will work closely with other IT Security specialists in the BioMedIT network.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Lead the development and operate of the next-gen IT security infrastructure of ETH Zurich’s Biomedical Research IT Platform Leonhard Med
- Monitor and analyze security-related events on the hardware, software and network level, and handle security incidents
- Consult on IT security for the introduction of new use cases on Leonhard Med
- System hardening and further measures to improve system security
- Plan and implement regular penetration tests of BioMedIT infrastructures
- Actively collaborating with IT security specialists from the ETH IT Security Center as well as from the SPHN/BioMedIT network
- Contribute to security reviews and penetration tests of BioMedIT infrastructures
- Participate in technical working groups for further developing common security guideline
- Maintain internal documentation on IT system security and participate in security audits
This position requires:
- You have a degree in computer science or a comparable field of study or professional training in IT
- You have several years of professional experience in the area of IT security, IT data center or IT networks
- Practical experience with Linux systems administration, preferably in a research environment
- In-depth understanding of Linux security-related services (firewall and SSH, authentication (2FA), key management, VPNs, SELinux, logging, monitoring, auditing, …)
- Proven experience in IT security risk management, IT network engineering and operation in secure environments
- We require good knowledge of IT security standards ISO 2700x and data protection
- Beside solid technical abilities, this position also requires an aptitude for finding good solutions to complex IT problems, together with a “focused on the finished product” mindset
- Good communication skills and the ability to collaborate with other IT specialists are necessary
Prior experience with IT security in cloud or Kubernetes environments is a plus.
We look forward to receiving your online application including the following documents: CV, motivation letter, master or PhD certificate, contact details of two referees as well as further certificates and diplomas (optional). Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
Further information about Scientific IT Services can be found on our website www.sis.id.ethz.ch. For further information, please contact Dr. Sergio Maffioletti, Group Head Research IT Platforms, email firstname.lastname@example.org (no applications).
For more details please visit this webpage.