Take part in CERN’s openlab Summer Student Programme!
During two full months corresponding to 9 weeks (June-August 2022), CERN openlab summer students will work on an advanced IT project and will be given a series of IT lectures specially prepared for them by experts at CERN and other institutes. The students also have the opportunity to attend the main CERN Summer student programme lectures, if they wish. Visits to the accelerators and experimental areas are part of the programme, as well as visits to external companies, pandemic allowing. A short report and a presentation on your work and project at CERN will be expected at the end of your stay.
For more information on the CERN openlab Summer Student Programme, please visit Education | CERN openlab
In order to qualify for a place on the programme you will need to meet the following requirements:
- You are a Bachelor or Master student (not PhD) with a strong computing profile and will have completed, by summer 2022, at least three years of full-time studies at university level.
- You will remain registered as a student during your stay at CERN. If you expect to graduate during European summer 2022 (as of May), you are also eligible to apply.
- You have not worked at CERN before with any other status (Technical Student, Trainee, User or other status) for more than 3 months.
- You have a good knowledge of English; knowledge of French would be an advantage.
Candidates of all nationalities are welcome to apply for this Summer Student Programme.
CERN would very much like to benefit from your expertise, commitment and passion.
In return, CERN will provide you with:
- A contract of association of 9 weeks to work on an advanced IT project.
- An extensive IT lecture programme, students will also be able to attend the CERN generic summer student lecture programme if they wish.
- A 90 CHF per calendar day (net of tax) subsistence allowance to cover the cost of accommodation and meals in the Geneva area for a single person for the whole contract duration.
- A travel allowance on a lump sum basis paid at the end of your stay to help you with the cost of travel between Geneva and your residence at the time of the selection committee.
- Coverage by CERN’s comprehensive Health Insurance scheme (contribution is already deducted from the daily allowance).
- Assistance to find accommodation on the CERN site or nearby.
Possible arrival dates
Monday 13th June, 20th June, 27th June, 4th July 2022
You will need the following documents, clearly labelled (e.g. “CV”, “Motivation letter”, “Academic transcript”, etc.) and in PDF format to complete your application:
- A CV.
- A copy of your most recent academic transcript giving an overview of your marks (if you download it from your university portal please make sure there is no protection so that we can open it).
- At least one reference letter (dated less than 12 months), preferably 2.
Please make sure you have all the documents requested to hand when you start your application on our career portal as they cannot be added after its completion (only reference letters can be submitted afterwards). Please note that all the documents you upload will remain attached to your Smartrecruiters profile. You do not need to upload them again for other applications you might submit.
Once your application has been submitted, you will receive a confirmation e-mail which contains a link. If you have not yet uploaded your reference letters when applying, you should forward this link to at least one referee, so that they can upload their recommendation letter. Please note that this must be done before the application deadline (Monday 31 January 2022 12 noon CET time).
More information available at: https://www.smartrecruiters.com/CERN/743999788187918-cern-openlab-summer-student-programme-2022