100%, Lugano, temporary
The Swiss National Supercomputing Centre (CSCS) is operated by ETH Zurich and its headquarters are located in Lugano, Switzerland. CSCS develops and provides key supercomputing capabilities for solving important problems in science and society. One of the primary goals of the center is to provide high quality HPC computational services to the centre’s user community and to support the scientists with their computational workflows, such that they make the best use of the high-end HPC systems that the centre hosts.
To this end, CSCS offers a 2-year fixed term position for a Computational or Computer Scientist in the Scientific Computing Support (SCS) group, located in Lugano. Your duties in this group will be the following:
- Support the centre’s HPC user community in making efficient use of the centre’s flagship supercomputing system.
- Deploy and optimize the HPC software stack provided to the users.
- Develop benchmarks and tests for systems, libraries and applications that will be used in our regression testing framework for assessing the health of the system from a user’s point of view.
- Develop new tools or contribute to the development of existing tools that support the goals of the team.
- Work closely with selected users to help them optimize their scientific workflows and to port their applications to GPUs.
- Prepare seminars and trainings for the centre’s user community about new technologies and how to efficiently use the supercomputing system of the centre.
- Collaborate with other units inside the centre in technology projects that are of strategic importance to the centre.
We are seeking for a Computational or Computer Scientist with the following profile:
- Master’s or PhD degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- Proven experience in parallel programming models for HPC.
- Deep understanding of the performance interactions at all aspects between scientific applications and the underlying hardware with an emphasis on the GPU architectures.
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to work independently.
- Strong programming skills in C or C++ and Python.
- Excellent command of spoken and written English (our official working language).
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, as well as the ability to give technical talks to a broader audience.
- Enthusiasm in working in an international environment.
Prior experience with automated scientific software deployment tools, CI/CD frameworks or container runtimes is a plus.
We look forward to receiving your complete online application, addressed to Stephanie Frequente, CSCS Human Resources, via Trevano 131, 6900 Lugano. Applications via email cannot be considered. We also do not take agency applications into consideration.
For further information, please contact Vasileios Karakasis by email firstname.lastname@example.org (no applications please) or visit our website www.cscs.ch.