Major duties and responsibilities:
- Help optimize codes used at EPFL for sequential efficiency, parallelization, scaling, algorithms.
- Enable new applications on modern parallel architectures, with a focus on Materials Science:
- Maintain materials science HPC applications at a state-of-the-art level.
- Develop and maintain highly parallelized codes that are or have the potential to become community codes, with a major focus on Quantum ESPRESSO (co-developed at EPFL).
- Help coordinate the efforts of big data in materials science, with massive databases of electronic-structure simulations housed at EPFL or CSCS (AiiDA).
- Enable effective usage of the pooled computing resources by collaborating to the installation of specialized software.
- Support the EPFL HPC users community with application-related expertise.
- Participate in HPC education and outreach at EPFL, especially with courses and tutorials
- Support the preparation of production project proposals, such as computing allocation projects at CSCS, PRACE, or DOE Incite
- Help users in the migration from workstation to cluster and from cluster to high-end infrastructure.
- Participation in collaborative team-based efforts, such as national projects like PASC and its constituent network.
- Work closely with other PASC community groups to integrate emerging HPC systems into the simulation tools and user environments.
- Building visualization tools for massively parallel applications.
Essential skills and experience required:
- Master or PhD in science or engineering, materials science is a plus.
- Experience in optimization of scientific software and parallel programming (OpenMP, MPI, GPGPU,…).
- Experience in debugging parallel applications at scale.
- Proven ability to solve problems independently.
- Good team player.
- Proficiency in English; ability to learn French proficiently.
What we offer:
- A young, dynamic, inter-disciplinary, challenging academic and multicultural environment.
- An opportunity to evolve in a framework promoting advanced technology.
- Excellent working conditions and competitive remuneration.
- Opportunities for continuing education.
Start date: 01.06.2014 (or earlier)
Deadline for application: 15.04.2014
Activity rate: 100%.
Duration of contract: permanent position
Further information can be obtained by contacting Vittoria Rezzonico, SCITAS Executive Director, by E-mail: Vittoria.Rezzonico@epfl.ch.
Applicants should submit a cover letter and a detailed CV in PDF format only, including name of at least 2 references, electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the position title and the reference in the “subject” field.